REMINDER concerning all travel out-of-province/country after July 1, 2017: An absence whose expected length is less than 90 consecutive days is covered. If the absence is expected to exceed 90 days, there is no coverage during the entire absence. For more information on your insurance plan, contact Industrial Alliance at (514) 499-3800 or 1-800-363-3540 or consult your online client space.
ESTA’s Annual General Meeting will be held at the following date and time:
Friday, June 2 at 1 p.m. (2 p.m. Atlantic)
The meeting will be held online in each school and centre. Eastern Shores teachers will receive more information soon from their union delegates.
There are many resources for those who have depression or mental health problems and are considering suicide. The Suicide Help Line is 1-866-277-3553 (1-866-APPELLE). This service is available throughout the Eastern Shores School Board’s territory.
The Nominations Committee (comprised of Ray Venables and Zak Likely) for the recent executive by-election, declare the result as follows:
For the position of 1st Vice-President: Averill McWhirter-Huxter – Acclaimed
Since this was a by-election, the position of 1st Vice-President will end on June 30, 2018.
The ESTA Nominations Committee (Ray Venables and Zak Likely) is hereby giving notice of a by-election for the position of 1st VICE-PRESIDENT of the ESTA Executive.
Nominations are invited for the aforementioned position. This position will expire on June 30, 2018.
To learn more about the responsibilities for these positions, please refer to the ESTA Constitution (available on the ESTA website at www.esteachers.org).
TIMELINE (adopted by ESTA Board of Directors on April 4, 2017):
April 4 Notice of Election
April 12 Close of Nominations (nomination forms must be received at the ESTA office by 3:00 pm of this date)
April 19 Election Statement (only necessary if the position is contested; limited to one page – must be received by 3:00 pm of this date)
April 26 Election Day (if necessary)
Nominations should be e-mailed or faxed to the ESTA office. You can obtain a nomination form from your school/centre’s union delegate or by contacting the ESTA office.
The following applications should be submitted to ESSB by the dates indicated below.
April 1st to ESSB:
- PROGRESSIVE RETIREMENT PLAN
- SABBATICAL LEAVES
- PARTIAL LEAVES OF ABSENCE
- FULL-TIME LEAVES OF ABSENCE (WITHOUT PAY)
April 15th to your principal:
Within 5 days of job postings to ESSB:
Dear ESSB teacher,
Once again this year, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) provider for the Eastern Shores School Board is Morneau Shepell.
Morneau Shepell is a leading EFAP service provider and offers a wide range of confidential and voluntary support services to assist you and your family with resolving everyday challenges, complex issues, and everything in- between. You and your immediate family have access to the EFAP at no cost.
Please remember that the EFAP is completely confidential within the limits of the law. No one, including Eastern Shores School Board, will ever know that you have used the service unless you choose to tell them.
What does your EFAP include?
- Short-term Professional Counselling provides support for personal and emotional issues. Choose from a variety of delivery methods to best suit your comfort level and lifestyle including In-Person, Telephonic, E- Counselling, First Chat (instant online chat with a counsellor), Video, Text-based self-paced.
- Family Support Services connects you with a Family Support Specialist for personalized assistance with family planning, parenting, childcare, eldercare, homecare support and more.
- Legal Support Services provide consultation with professional lawyers to answer legal questions surrounding divorce, custody, adoption, real estate, debt, bankruptcy, landlord/tenant issues, and more.
- Financial Support Services provide consultation with financial professionals to answer financial questions about budgeting, debt management, tax issues, and more.
The program is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!!!
Call the Morneau Shepell Care Access Centre toll free at 1 (800) 387-4765;
Register and login to E-Counselling via workhealthlife.com, MorneauShepell.com or My EAP app.
I would like to thank you for your support and for electing me as your new President, effective July 1, 2017. I look forward to serving all members in the upcoming years. I wish you all a good few weeks before the holidays. I understand this can be a challenging time of the year in schools. I thank you again for taking the time to vote last week and for your continued support.
To: All schools and centres
From: Pamela Patterson and Christine Piercey
Cc: Ray Venables
Date: December 2, 2016
Re: Executive election results
As members of the Nominations Committee for the executive elections, we declare the results of the executive elected as follows:
For the position of president:
- Louise Drapeau – President (29% of the votes)
- Gillian Garrett – President (71% of the votes)
For the position of 1st Member-at-Large:
- Averill McWhirter-Huxter (44% of the vote)
- John Prince – 1st Member-at-Large (56% of the vote)
As members of the Nominations Committee for the executive elections, we declare the elected to be: Gillian Garrett (President) and John Prince (1st Member-at-Large). Congratulations to the winners, and thank you to all candidates for your interest in our association.
The ESTA Executive will consists of the following people as of July 1, 2017:
- Gillian Garrett – President – until June 30, 2019
- Vacant – 1st Vice-President – until June 30, 2018
- Erin Ross – 2nd Vice-President – until June 30, 2018
- Adele Flowers – Secretary-Treasurer – until June 30, 2019
- John Prince – 1st Member-at-Large – until June 30, 2019
- Ruth Copping – 2nd Member-at-Large – until June 30, 2018
It is worth noting that the position of 1st Vice-President will become vacant on July 1, 2017 since Ms. Gillian Garrett currently holds that position. As a result, a by-election will be necessary sometime in the future.