Eastern Shores Teachers Association (ESTA) Scholarship Fund
Mandate: To encourage Eastern Shores School Board (ESSB) secondary students through financial contributions towards their post-secondary studies.
Mechanism of participation: The scholarship is funded entirely through ESTA teachers’ dues.
- Only students in their final year at an ESSB high school or enrolled in an ESSB adult education centre may apply.
- Students must submit an application including a letter of reference from an ESTA member (that is not an immediate family member) to be considered for a scholarship. In the event that a student does not apply for a scholarship from a school in any given year, then the school will not receive a scholarship for the year and this will not influence the distribution of funds for following years.
- Students must submit their secondary IV and V high school transcripts.
- Applicants who wish to be considered must send proof of acceptance to a CEGEP or other post-secondary studies no later than May 1.
- Students who are selected must send proof of attendance at a CEGEP or other post-secondary studies no later than October 31.
- In the event that more than one student from a school applies for a scholarship, then the committee has two options:
- The committee may give an equal amount of funding to both students (ie. the amount allocated to the school would be divided equally); or
- The committee may use its judgement in which it will consider the following criteria: community involvement (e.g. volunteering or participating in a choir, Terry Fox Walk/Run, Governing Board, etc) and participation in school and school board activities/sporting events.
Distribution of Scholarships:
- The ESTA Executive will form the Selection Committee for distributing scholarships.
- The Selection Committee may decide not to distribute a scholarship in any given year due to insufficient funds.
- The ESTA local union delegate will distribute the scholarship to the student in his or her school. The winner will receive a letter stating the amount of the scholarship and that proof of attendance at a CEGEP or other post-secondary institution is required. If no proof is provided, the scholarship will be forfeited.
Adopted at ESTA AGM 2010 (with amendment to mechanism of participation in 2013)