The current ideology of austerity embraced by this government is meant to undo Quebec’s social infrastructures. The Government’s offer to Quebec’s teachers in this round of negotiations serves to prove that. Here are some points from their sectorial offer deposited on Dec 16, 2014.
A major increase in the number of students per class:
- Return to the ratios of fifteen years ago, adding an average of two to five students per class, often more, with the possibility of eleven more in some cases!
- For schools in economically disadvantaged areas, a return to the same ratio as other schools
- Abolition of average class sizes: only the maximum number of students will be respected
- Addition of five reasons to legally justify exceeding the maximum number of students per class
More students with special needs in each class:
- Elimination of weighting of students with special needs in making up a class (a priori weighting)
- Elimination of the definitions of various learning difficulties which identified students in order to help them better
Significant attacks on teacher workload:
- Increase in presence time at school from 32 to 35 hours a week to be assigned by administration (no more time for personal work for preparation and correcting)
- Elimination of progressive entry for preschool and addition of the possibility to form multilevel groups between kindergarten and Grade One
- Abolition of the 50 km limit to transfer a teacher (in the context of school board fusions)
Significant attacks on professional autonomy:
- Professional improvement prescribed by the employer
- Imposition of specific teaching methods
Elimination of a minimum number of jobs in technical education and adult education
No more obligation to respect the recall list
This is only a glimpse of the nightmare! It’s clear that students and teachers will suffer from this.
Together, let’s tell the government that these offers are unacceptable!
Please add your voices to the online petition by following this link: