May 312017

REMINDER concerning all travel out-of-province/country after July 1, 2017: An absence whose expected length is less than 90 consecutive days is covered. If the absence is expected to exceed 90 days, there is no coverage during the entire absence. For more information on your insurance plan, contact Industrial Alliance at (514) 499-3800 or 1-800-363-3540 or consult your online client space.

Oct 222012

For the out-of-province teachers that move to Quebec to work, moving to a new province involves overcoming a lot of red tape in order to have their qualifications recognised. In order to help new teachers “from away” to navigate through the bureaucracy, QPAT has produced a checklist of requirements (in both English and French) in order for teachers “from away” to obtain a brevet or Québec Teaching Permit (QTP).

It is the teacher’s contractual responsibility to submit the required documents without delay in order to become qualified. Sometimes, I’ve noted that new teachers are confused between the documents that they need to provide the school board in connection with their salaries and contracts and the documents that they must provide the MELS in order to become legally qualified in this province. It is important to distinguish between a teacher’s obligations to his/her school board, as the employer, and the MELS.

Of course, new teachers should not forget QPAT’s excellent publication: New Teacher’s Handbook (English | French).

Questions? Please contact Ray Venables, President.

Have a good union day!